David Lee, the creator of this absurd collection of amusing messages, is a mechanical engineer, designer, marriage and family therapist, hypnotherapist, marketing executive and entrepreneur. Here is some of his history:
Satellites - Designed a hermetically-sealed explosive release mechanism for satellites.
London’s Millennium Bridge - Designed the hermetically-sealed damper with infinite life that was used to control pedestrian-induced vibrations on the bridge. Previous to the installation of the dampers the bridge swayed so much that it could not be used.
Ships - Invented a system for supporting the inertial systems of ships to protect them from depth charge-induced shock, yet allow them to retain very precise alignment.
Chatty Cathy Doll - Designed the talking mechanism for this doll which was the very first talking mechanism ever for dolls that could utter multiple sentences.
David was born and raised in Chicago, Illinois. He migrated to California to attend California Insitute of Technology (Cal Tech) in Pasadena where he received a Bachelor of Science degree in Mechnical Engineering. During that time, he was married and subsequently had three children. Years later, he would continue his education at the University of Southern California (USC) from which he obtained a Ph.D in mechanical engineering, and much later a Masters degree in Counselor Education. While at USC, he was a member of the Alpha Sigma Lambda Scholarship Society.
His professional career, which has spanned six decades, includes a diversified background of work experience, ranging from research and science to manufacturing and psychological counseling to self-help education and marketing. It has been an interesting career distinguished both by diversity and innovation.
· Garrett AiResearch (Designer) - His first work position, Lee designed the test equipment that ensured that motors, turbines and other
engine parts worked properly.
· Firestone Tire and Rubber (Designer) - Working in its Guided Missile Division, Lee designed rocket engines, valves and other parts for
the Corporal II missile, the nation’s first ballistic missile.
· Weber Aircraft (Designer) - Lee designed ejection seats for the B52 airplane.
· Mattel (Designer) - Lee designed the talking mechanism for the Chatty Cathy doll.
TrueFortunes is now David's focus. In answer to his wife’s views on this new endeavor are a little different. Something like why was he doing it and couldn’t he find something useful to do. Here's his answer;
“As long as I can remember my entire adult life has been productive. I have designed innumerable rather complicated machines and patented many of them. I have usually been responsible and relatively inoffensive (with a few lapses). TrueFortunes is my very first venture with no purpose, no redeeming value and no prospect of remuneration. I’m old enough to have given up saving for my old age, old enough to have more sense but not old enough to stop caring - so let’s have some fun!
become a part owner. He developed a number of classified projects and then became director of marketing.
· Taylor Devices (West Coast Technical Director) - During his employment with this company, which manufacturers dampers and
shock absorbers, he invented and patented several products. He also functioned in marketing and sales and was awarded salesman
of the year for the United States. He is actively working on new technology to make homes and office buildings safe from
earthquakes. He has worked with the Los Angeles City Council on a motion requiring a seismic vulnerability evaluation program for
all structures in the city.
· Marriage and Family Therapist/Private Practice - After receiving his degree from USC, he opened a practice in Beverly Hills and
counseled individuals and couples.
· Hypnotherapist/Private Practice - David obtained a licensed from the state of California and began using hypnotherapy in his
practice. This led to him creating and producing a series of “Guided Relaxation” audio tapes which he marketed on subjects like
losing weight, relieving stress and stopping smoking, as well as many others.
· Government Consultant - He occasionally consulted for various government entities.